Nov 15, 2006

Alarm Parade

It was a late night. No alarm clock. I'm just gonna wake up when I wake up...

The rude awakening came at about 9 AM. (That is not sleeping in, ok? That's much much earlier than I had intended to get up!) Forget the usual suspects. The wretched blare of my alarm clock had been silenced, intentionally, the night before. It wasn't the mosquitoes patiently draining the life out of my feet. And no, it wasn't the routine wave of screaming Chinese pages coming over the school intercom system. Couldn't be, Trevor and I unplugged our room phone months ago. Today's culprit was fresh and completely unforeseen - a random Taiwanese parade! The discordant blend of live percussion, ear-splitting fireworks, and karaoke-style techno would have been enough probably to rouse us all the way from downtown. Fortunately for us, this parade moseyed right down our street.


Actually, I jumped at this most convenient photo op. Since I don't really understand anything about the parade (occasion, symbolism, purpose, etc), I'll let the images do most of the talking.


The paraders taking a short break during their rain-soaked march. That's Trevor cruising down the middle of the street, getting the up close and personal.


Left. Two percussionists contributing to the cacophony.
Right.
One of the parade vehicles banking my direction.



And then there's this guy, casually launching roman candles from palm of his hand.


Two enthused officers, busily engaged in directing traffic.


More of the participants, helping guide one of the parade displays.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the guy holding fireworks in his hand...he looks so unimpressed with the whole ordeal...and the possibility of blowing off his hand doesn't seem to bother him. Hahaha...good pictures! Taiwan is so colorful...I love it!

-Rose