Jul 4, 2006

The courts of Feng Yuan

Basketball courts. Naturally, one of my first orders of business was finding somewhere to play! Even before arriving in Taiwan, I was eager to begin looking. It was one of the first questions I asked during our city bicycle tour our first day here. And here they are!



In a park, not more than 10 minutes from the school by bicycle, two full-length outdoor courts sit adjacent to each other. It's summer, and even on a Monday night, easily more than 50 people hang around, all anxious to play. Games are half court, three-on-three, first-team-to-six-points-by-ones, winner's ball. Games are also lightning fast, highly competitive, and yet ultimately friendly. Players call their own fouls and are quick to say sorry.


Both morning and night, and especially on weekends, the courts swell with activity. Not all of it is basketball. Last night, a Tai Chi class occupied one of the half courts for about an hour after we arrived. Tai Chi is a meditative exercise derived anciently from martial arts - a sort of breed of yoga and meditation. In between games, I sat quietly and observed the group, hopefully not disturbing them with several blinding flashes from my camera!

The basketball courts are only one of the park's many treasures. Landscaped gardens, shaded footpaths, pavilions, children's playgrounds - all come together to create a welcome oasis nestled inconspicuously in a cramped and congested city. In the heart of the park stands a towering monument, it's meaning and significance as obscure to me as the Chinese characters that adorn it. Four prominent characters appear on the front of the monument, which supposedly read Heaven, Above, (unknown), and Mother. The stone carvings around the base of the statue are beautifully crafted - the dragons in particular are my favorite.

The courts. I think I will be visiting the park often.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the pictures and your descriptions of your surroundings! When did you become such a poet?! Oh...and next time you want to call...call me at home instead (if it's not too late)...since my phone NEVER rings when you call me! :)

Love Ya' Much!
Rose

Rochelle said...

hope you are doing fine.. happy 4th of july late... independence day in case you forgot your roots--being that you are such a world traveler!

Anyway-- thought I'd say hello..
how is the teaching aspect going? no details on that here....
:)

Anonymous said...

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it » » »

Anonymous said...

Very nice site! » » »